-->

INTANGIBLE QUALITIES

Today as I was thinking about an art exhibit I saw several years ago at the Mason Murer Gallery with paintings by the Cuban artist Alexi Torres entitled “Positive Thoughts”. I was completely captivated by larger than life canvases of women created through several thousand brush strokes that resembled white illuminated feathers. The paintings seemed to suggest that each feather was a thought. There was a halo of light surrounding the different women. As I viewed the works I was completely captivated and felt a sense of peace and calm, much like when I am in the ballroom. I carried these thoughts of serenity with me on Wednesday as I was going to class. One of the things Antonio has been emphasizing is for me to become more confident in my everyday life by transforming my thoughts of myself through positivity. He wants me to focus on technique, but to let the movement come alive through the intangible qualities of human emotion.

Today is the day to finish my choreography and my heart is beating fast! I arrive a few minutes early to go over the steps making sure I remember all that has been learned. Maxi comes and immediately takes me to the small ballroom. We start going to review and everything is going well. Things start to go south as I get so nervous I am making the same mistake over and over again after the lockstep combination. Maxi gets really stern to the point where I do a double take –did Antonio magically appear?! No it’s Maxi – there is a disturbance in the force!!! Hahahaha! We go through that step until I get it right. Maxi then shows me the next part of the choreography one time and I immediately get it!!! Woohoo!!! Maxi is surprised – actually I am surprising myself!  We then start viewing the final steps. I start dancing around the small ballroom- Maxi doesn’t notice as he is pouring over the movements. We start working through the final part and I have chills all the way to the last pose! I cannot believe it. I have completed in 5 lessons which usually takes me 20 to accomplish, and I feel like I won the Olympics! We go through the routine a couple of times in the large ballroom and I miss a couple of steps. Maxi continues to be stern and I find myself saying “Yes Sir!!” to his commands. He starts to laugh and says “I am sorry for being strict with you but you can see the results!”  He then calls Mario to record. I am thinking “Argggh! It’s not perfect yet!!”  Through the video I am in a daze freaking completely out!!! I make a couple of mistakes but for the most part I am pleased with my accomplishment. When we finish Mario and Maxi both congratulate me and give me hugs- I am so happy I could fly! Maxi says “My Dear, I told you all along you could do it!!”  As I watch the playback I am thinking I need to work on my hip movement. Shakira’s hips don't lie, mine right now don’t have much to say. The one ingredient missing from my routine is confidence so I make a mental note to focus on that while dancing at the party later that week.

I arrive early for the Party on Friday (as always). Maxi and Masha are practicing Rumba and I am studying their movements taking notes on how to move elegantly and effortlessly throughout the dance floor. When the party begins the class of the night is Salsa- oh yeah!! Even though the group class at the party goes through the basic steps, this is a chance for me to focus on my technique and on being bolder. I am so happy to see that Callie is back!!!  I have missed her so much at the parties; she always helps me step up my game on the dance floor, either by introducing a new step or giving me tips on how to follow better. I got to dance the Cha-cha, East Coast Swing, and Foxtrot with Callie. With Mario I dance the east coast swing and the Rumba. I am soo excited as Mario can see how I have improved throughout my time at Daza! He throws in a new step with Rumba and I am able to catch on. With Maxi I dance Foxtrot, Waltz, and East Coast Swing- I am having so much fun with Maxi. He is truly becoming more and more amazing as an instructor. One of the Highlights of my evening was being able to dance the Merengue with our special guest Waverly Lucas, who is one my heroes in Ballet. He and his wife Nina Gilreath are the founders of Ballethnic Dance Studio and Dance academy, a cultural diverse center for classical training in Ballet. They have done so much to make ballet accessible to everyone, and have encouraged and uplifted all who walk through their doors. The company has introduced 20 original works including “Leopard’s Tale” and “The Urban Nutcracker” which takes the story of the Nutcracker and sets it in Historic Auburn Avenue with many Atlanta references throughout the piece.

True to the legacy of Daza Dance at one point in the evening while we were dancing the energy from every person in the room flowed together and we all were dancing in a circle. We each let go of our individualities, and for a few minutes we were all one; becoming connected with each other in complete and total joy. As the party began to end, I started to sing a few bars from the My Fair Lady Song “I Could Have Danced All Night” and I truly could have! There is something about being in a room full of people with a similar mindset who are all here to help and encourage one another that helps to build you up and focus on your dreams.

By: Kamaria George (10/15/2016)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!