-->

HOW NOT TO BE A DIVA...

Lately since I have returned from Argentina I have been getting compliments and making appearances on behalf of the studio. Antonio was cautioning me not to let it all go to my head and become a Diva, so I put together this list to help keep me on the straight and narrow.

·       Learn to laugh at yourself – DISCLAIMER: To my beloved Daza Dance instructors, if you happen to go out Salsa dancing and someone says “one of your students was here; they twirled into one of our light fixtures” that student was me! I was attempting a combination from their intermediate class- a hammerlock with double turn to a sweetheart to a sitdip with only half of a basic step at the beginning- no basics in the combination- just constant spinning!! I twirled right into one of those floor to ceiling lights, but luckily did not knock it down. All I could do in that moment was smile and be cute. These moments happen and they happen to me a lot, but I have learned to laugh at myself. Interestingly enough I finally got the combination. The instructor put on some fast music and because I didn’t have to think about the steps I did much better. Go figure!

·       Don’t be obsessed with your appearance – hahahahahaha! No self-respecting Diva will leave the house without perfect hair and make-up and on bad hair days might very well call in sick. Don’t get me wrong I love to look nice but there are days when my hair looks like a spider, and I very seldom do the whole full makeup thing. I have, however, let some of the sparkly jewelry from my performances into everyday life- and I pretend to wear heels on occasion.

·       Embrace the mission at Daza Dance – A Diva would feel very uncomfortable at Daza Dance because our school is all about being a family and helping each other succeed; we are not an every man for himself dog eat dog establishment. Antonio and Mario set the standard when creating the studio to create a space of love and acceptance.  As a result I have fantastic fellow students like Bonnie and Paige who are incredible dancers but are some of the most giving and heartwarming people you will ever meet. Likewise the other instructors Masha, Callie, and Maxi are brilliant, accomplished and all about encouraging and uplifting everyone at Daza Dance.

·       Concentrate on your goals – for me there is no time to be a self-centered, cell phone throwing crazy person – I have work to do.  Antonio is traveling this week but that does not mean I get to slack off- and there are no excuses. I tried to give him an excuse once- and I work the system giving beautiful excuses that make angels weep! He stared me down his face devoid of emotion (although for a moment I saw a smile). My reasoning evaporated into thin air and the fear surrounding the excuse was dismantled - It was understood still had to accomplish the goal. 

Earlier this week I came to class and Mario and Maxi present me with a delicious strawberry shortcake in honor of my birthday and everyone in the studio sang the birthday song for me. After getting loaded up on sugar Maxi helps me learn some more the choreography- boy that box step from my last class is giving me a fit. We work through it and get enough of the piece finished to set to music- I am excited seeing the first part come together. I ask Maxi how much is left. He smiles and says “My dear we will be ok”. My heart begins to sink. I start thinking about what would happen if I don’t complete this choreography. Without realizing it I start humming Darth Vader’s theme from Star Wars under my breath. I begin to laugh hysterically Noooo!!! I must not experience the wrath of the Dark Side!! This Choreography must be completed!!!! Bwhahahaha!!!

Both Maxi and Antonio have filmed videos for me to watch of the choreography, and I am pouring over the videos. I go to my second session later this week, and I don’t know if its adrenaline or that I have willed myself to learn, but we get through a great portion of the choreography and I am so ecstatic. There is only a small portion left, and Maxi assures me that I know these steps!!!  I can see the end- we will finish on time woohoo!!!!!!

 By the way I have one more addition to my how not to be a Diva list- that would be to maintain a heart of gratitude. I am truly grateful to be able to have such wonderful experiences and to be able to live out the desires of my heart; I see the dance floor as a sacred space and every piece of choreography is a gift that speaks to my soul. I don’t even feel like my life is real, it’s like in a living in a dream. I am honored to be in a place where I can be my complete true self and hope to inspire others to do the same.

By: Kamaria George (10/08/2016)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!