-->

THE 10TH ANNIVERSARY GALA

Today is a beautiful clear day! It seems almost surreal that last night I performed in the 10thAnniversary Gala for Daza Dance. What an amazing experience to be a part of this vision for the past 3 years and to grow into the person I have become. It was incredibly inspiring to learn how everything began and part of the history of the studio, also to see how things are positioned for the future. 
 I laugh when I think that I almost talked myself out of doing the first showcase 3 years ago, and am so grateful Antonio and Mario encouraged me to fully express what was in my heart. The first Song I danced to was “When You Believe” from the the Movie The Prince of Egypt, and since that I have experienced a miracle in the way I have transformed. I am not only a better dancer but a stronger person who is becoming more and more confident and secure every day. 
Now I that I have completed 6 showcases, I feel a special sense of accomplishment.  I feel fantastic about this showcase because I overcame several obstacles to once again dance the best I ever have. Dancing a Rumba to the song “Chandelier” by Sia became a symbol of the restlessness I feel, and how I want and need to continue to pursue the most out of my life, this caused growth to happen as I continued to learn my steps. My first challenge was difficulty with the timing, I knew the steps, but coordinating them with the Rhythm of Rumba required a lot more work from me. Then there was the step that gave me a fit – those chase turns!  After the fall showcase I would come to the studio and practice chase turns over and over for hours as they were one of my weakest steps.  I remember thinking I hope my choreography will include chase turns since I was practicing them so much, and boy did I get my wish. Every step of my routine was somehow connected or led into a Chase Turn, and while I may not have them perfect after 6 months of practicing them I can see marked improvement!
Another challenge was performing with 2 coaches. Performing with more than one coach makes you the focal point; when you are with two coaches you have to know where you are supposed to be, and who you are dancing with at every moment. There was also the challenge of learning tricks, such as the drag step where Antonio and Maxi drag me across the floor, and of the lift where I had to trust them to carry me over their head. Being able to get to the point where I could execute these moves made me feel incredible. 
The last and greatest obstacle for me was breaking through the limitations in my mind.  As I continued with the process of learning this piece I was encouraged to not be afraid of my voice, to always strive for to be greater and go one step further, and that I am enough. Once I put in the work, got to know my choreography, and built up my confidence I felt like a star with backup dancers! The fact that I was able to feel this way was truly a reflection of how good Antonio and Maxi really are. I was even able to learn from a mistake during my last rehearsal with Antonio and Maxi. I slipped because I was rushing through the Ronde with Antonio, so I came to the studio later that week going over my notes and corrections and polishing those steps. I made sure to focus my energy and listened to the song a few times to make sure I understood the timing. By the Thursday evening before the showcase I stopped rehearsing so I wouldn’t make the mistake of over rehearsing, and trust that I knew what I needed to know.  Anticipation continued to build, I was nervous for dress rehearsal Friday night, but after going through everything as I received encouragement from instructors and students telling me how much I had improved, I was stunned and filled with confidence. 
All of these elements came together last night at the Gala as I gave a performance I didn’t even know I was capable of. Hearing the cheers when Antonio and Maxi l lifted me up filled me with joy, and I felt so proud of that performance upon completion.  That moment symbolized to me that I am my only limitation in life, and as I continue to take steps to move forward the momentum will add people and circumstances that can help me achieve my goals.  I am looking forward to continuing to use the positive impact the Daza Dance has had on me to inspire and impact the world.
By: Kamaria George (05/13/2018)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!