-->

SEPTEMBER PARTY RECAP- HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANTONIO!!!

Since being back in Atlanta I have been working harder than ever before. The Competition in Argentina was a great Masterclass, and I find that each time go I return more confident and more conscious of what to do to improve my dance. The Friday after my return I had a class with Maxi. Maxi and I spent time cleaning up the Showcase choreography and his bright smiling face infused me with energy. During class, my mind was consumed with thoughts what the future will bring, and the preparations for my upcoming test in Rhythm Dances and the Showcase.

I was still extremely tired and a little sad to be back, as I truly love Argentina and the Argentine people. To be completely embraced by people who accept you and connect with you instantly is a beautiful experience, and this time I also made friends with people from Uruguay and Chile.  Also to just be in an atmosphere of continuous dancing is heaven to me! If I could dance all day every day I would, dancing to me feels as natural as breathing.
The next week Antonio was back and we continued the process to fine-tune details in my dance. We concentrated on the Throw out in the East Coast Swing.  I must remember the slight adjustment and signals to move into the throwout, I must also remember to move at a 90-degree angle. We also worked on the rock step in Tango. I must remember to shift my weight during the step as if I am pressing a diamond to the back of my spine and adjust the diamond as I move forward and back. As I shift my weight for the third time with each step I must push back with my front foot.

The next week I come and am so excited to see Sebastian is here from Argentina giving coaching to students in the school!! He is so generous with his time and advice and like all of the people connected with Daza Dance he is accomplished, approachable, and very thoughtful.

Of course, the second Friday of every month is one of my favorite events, The Party!!! This was a very special party because Antonio was here and the timing of the party was his actual birthday.  Every party is exciting and fun, but when Antonio is in town the parties have a different flavor due to his incredible energy and beautiful spirit.  The class was Bachata taught by Maxi.  I had a feel for Bachata from doing the line dance but there are some slight differences to dancing with a partner, for example, Maxi was cautioning me to go easy on the knee lift movements especially if I am dancing close with someone as it might not go well with them! (Ha-ha) Of course, I also had my experiences dancing Bachata Chile style when I was in Argentina, so I felt well prepared for both the class and line dance later that evening. During the break, I got to meet a few new students who were joining that evening for their very first party.

When the dancing started I got to dance with Sebastian!! Having seen him dance impeccably at the competition and in videos, and being present last year at the South American Open when he had his Hall of Fame Award was truly remarkable. I felt so honored to have the opportunity to be able to dance with such a brilliant choreographer. First, we danced the Rumba together, I couldn’t help but watch his flawless arms and technique as we danced, and later we danced the waltz that was full of elegance and ease.

To be able to dance with Antonio on his birthday was special, it was an honor to celebrate part of his day with him. We danced the Tango together as I was concentrating on my diamond during my rock steps. I could tell my Tango has greatly improved and although I was concentrating on my steps I was feeling relaxed and confident. Likewise later when we danced the Foxtrot I felt self-assured remembering how long it took me to get the promenade turn and now it was flowing with ease. I couldn’t help but feel grateful for everything Antonio has done to help me become the dancer I am today.

With Maxi I danced the Rumba to Mariah Carey’s Hero we were having so much fun dancing and then we burst into song, singing the lyrics at the top of our lungs! We also danced the Lively Foxtrot together that made me smile.

Next, it was time to celebrate birthdays, there was a new student celebrating her 21 birthday and Heidi who also recently joined the studio a few months ago. Mario said some beautiful words about Antonio and how he had helped so many people with their dreams. After the speech, there was a special Merengue dance where everyone got to dance with Antonio. The room was filled with well wishes and laughter as we continued the celebration throughout the night.

The dancing continued throughout the evening, with Callie I danced the Rumba continuing to learn about elegance and form as I watched her movements. Mario, I danced also danced the Rumba together that was regal and majestic!

Finally of course was the Samba line dance. I am counting down until I can learn The Samba in my classes but in the meantime, I will continue to practice and go all out during the line dance. This was a beautiful evening and a great opportunity to celebrate with one another, especially the birthday of my mentor and friend. I never want the party to end but as we parted into the evening we left with a sense of peace and joy.

By: Kamaria George (09/12/2017)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!