-->

JUNE PARTY RECAP- THE DREAM CONTINUES

Something about Daza Dance makes me feel calm and peaceful. No matter what my day is like the moment I step inside the walls of the studio the air changes. Without realizing it a smile radiates from within; I am at home. Today as usual I am the first person to arrive at the party and have time to relax and reflect on the past week. These moments feel like a dream as I finally know today that I will be returning to Argentina for a second time. What was in my heart and mind has come to fruition and it feels good to let myself feel complete joy!

This past Monday I had class with Maxi and was feeling proud that my warmups are starting to improve. When we move to the technique portion of class we work again on the reverse turn with outside swivel in Tango. I still have notes swimming in my head from the last time we practiced this step! I have given up the notion that I know anything about ballroom dance (ha-ha) and let myself fully embrace this moment. Maxi tells as I move across the ballroom to push from the back leg and let the momentum propel me forward.  He encourages me to focus on the preparation, to flex the standing leg and push. 

For Wednesday’s class Antonio has returned, I am always so excited to see him! While we have fun as usual there are some adjustments as the details with each step are getting more refined. Today we are discussing how I am holding my arm in closed position.  When we close I need to have a toned arm and let Antonio close the gap letting our arms touch. I don't need to keep lifting my arm because he will never be able to close. While we are dancing I should never let my arm drop, and when we open and close positions my arm needs to mirror his movements.

Class begins at the party and tonight Maxi is teaching Salsa. Since I crashed and burned in Salsa in a recent class I am paying close attention to every detail and applying every nuance. Every time I come to class, even when the most basic steps are being taught I can always can add something to make my dancing better. After class I am enjoying the break time and I met some new students who have joined our family, some of who are immediately jumping into the next showcase! If this past showcase was a showcase of veterans, this upcoming production will feature many who will be having their first experience. So far the stars with the names of the performers are covering half the wall and there could be more to come!

When the party starts I dance Salsa with Gerri who challenges me to stay on my toes. I take notes on how she presents herself with such a confident elegance, and how I can incorporate that in my dance. I danced the Rumba with Mario and I could feel how I have improved! I believe Mario is noticing the improvements as well as he continues to smile with approval as he oversees every step. We also danced the Cha- Cha together and I confidently applied all the changes I have learned in the past few weeks including one of my favorite steps, the lock step. I danced a lively and fun Foxtrot with Maxi, we cover the ballroom in laughter and I am feeling relaxed and hopeful. As the evening progresses some of the highlights of the every party are the line dances because we all move together as one. As our family continues to expand these moments become more and more meaningful as a physical representation of the love and community in our studio.  When the evening ends I realize that I am in a place of happiness and contentment, and am boldly looking towards the future.

By: Kamaria George (06/12/2017)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!