-->

SPOTLIGHT ON BROADWAY SHOWCASE RECAP

Today was a beautiful clear day without a cloud in the sky. I reflected fondly on the week before and how the showcase came together in a way that was more beautiful than I could have ever imagined.

This week I had practiced my routine so much and listened to my song to the point where I knew every nuance. The challenge for me this week was not to over rehearse. This was extremely difficult for me as I am always drilling, always going over movements in my head, and when I am not practicing my routine I am thinking about when will be the next opportunity to practice. For our last rehearsal Antonio said we would only do the routine twice which made me nervous.  I do it once almost perfect and then the second time I am focusing so much on getting each step perfect I completely fall apart. Antonio stops the song and we restart. This time was much better and I realize Antonio is right I need to pull back from the routine a little bit. This is my last full rehearsal and the weight of the moment is making me anxious, but I make the decision that this is indeed the last time I practice outside of the dress rehearsal. I will trust that I know my routine and just let it happen. 

I look forward to the dress rehearsal as it is the last opportunity to see everyone’s routines live, the night of the performance all of the performers will be in the green room watching from a monitor.  As the routines progressed everyone looked amazing and we have the makings of a wonderful show. Antonio gave a speech always keeps us mindful of the reason for the studio and to thank us all for being a part of the vision. The pillars of Daza Dance are a total embrace of diversity and inclusion, acceptance, and the desire to help each person become the best person they can be. We are a true family of different ages, cultures, races, and backgrounds. This vision is so close to my heart as it created an atmosphere where I could be allowed to flourish and become the person I have always wanted to be.  We departed for the evening full of expectation of the day to come, and for the first time I was able to get a full night of sleep the night before the showcase.

The next morning I am eager to get my hair and make-up done. Hair and make-up time is not just an opportunity to be beautiful, it is chance for all of the ladies who have different class times to catch up  with each other as we count down to our  performances. It was such a pleasure for me to also talk with to talk with our Glam Squad and see how they perfectly fit into our family. I am always amazed at how every professional person that comes through our doors that does work with our studio lines up with our vision statement no matter what their profession. Alexis Williams our hairstylist and I talked about her concept for Blushlife Salon and how she and her staff focus on beauty from the inside out. This holistic approach to beauty was something I picked up when I first met her and our Make-up artist Samantha Ellis.  At the end of our sessions together I not only had completely beautiful hair and make-up, I left their presence with a soul that was filled with wisdom.
When the time came to put on our dresses we all stood by to help each other, and I was thankful for the four people who helped me into my dress, likewise I helped others with their dresses! With all of the corsets, crinolines, hooks, what nots, and thing- a- ma-bobs that keep these outfits together it takes a village to dress for showcase!!

The time finally came for the performance, and since we are a family it was only fitting that we open the show with the actual family of Chelsea and Eric Petit with Melissa Gibson who happens to be Chelsea’s mom. They were phenomenal in their Tango that was danced with Maxi to the Theme from Phantom of the Opera.  They breathed life into their piece complete with costumes to match the era, black lace gowns with corsets, and special make-up designed by Chelsea with painted white phantom masks. You could tell how much Chelsea, Eric, and Melissa loved the show through their care and precision with each movement. They have now proved they can rise to the challenge Smooth and Rhythm dances, and I look forward to future performances from them.

Next Regina did an East Coast Swing with Mario to “Hey Baby” from Dirty Dancing wearing a black and white dress with a crinoline. The connection between Mario and Regina is undeniable and helped to fuel an amazing performance, Regina’s Character came alive and the dance put a smile on everyone’s face. Each moment was captivating until the end when they exited the stage with a skip that added levity and fun to the piece. Regina would come back later and do a completely opposite performance with Antonio, Mario, and Maxi from the Play Spring Awakenings about a woman who as a girl struggled with being sexually abused by her stepfather while her mother looked the other way. The dance represented her living in freedom with her sexuality and not being defined by here abuse. Regina was able to execute these emotions and give a defining transcendent performance.
Next was Bonnie Emerson’s heartfelt performance to “One Night Only” from Dream Girls. She wore a stunning black gown with crystal accents that were placed by Maxi. The theme of the Dance was about Bonnie having to choose between two lovers played By Mario and Maxi You could feel her angst as she went between each man trying to make a choice and there was thunderous applause from the audience.  Up until the last moment this story was conveyed by Bonnie, Mario and Maxi with drama and passion.

The Student Performance Group was back, with Colet and Patrick Falvey, Byron Starcher, and Michaela Harris. True to the Spirit of the show Colet and Michaela wore red and black polka dotted gowns and Patrick and Byron wore red sequined jackets.   They danced a Rumba/Swing number to the song “To Good to Be True” from Jersey Boys. You could tell they were feeling the song and I could feel the love between this group. You couldn’t help but smile as you watched them go in and out of their formations, and the piece left you feeling the beauty of love.

Next Jackie Levi did a fun lively Jive to a medley to Mama Mia with Mario and Maxi. Jackie truly came alive and I saw a carefreeness that made you smile from the inside.  She wore hot pink dress which captured the essence of the character she portrayed. She would later come back to do a waltz from the Sound of Music to the song “Edelweiss” With Antonio. She wore a beautiful cream lace blouse with a black flowing skirt which captured the essence of Vienna Austria during the time of the musical. She had a personal connection to the song as her grandmother was from Vienna, and she spoke in her video of how much her family loved to waltz. This was evident as Jackie gave a truly beautiful, heartfelt, elegant, performance.

Next up was me! I was feeling like a princess in one of the most beautiful gowns I had ever worn, a white and yellow dress with yellow and white crystals and a yellow crinoline that shadowed my every movement. While I usually am a bundle of nerves the whole day of a performance, this time I was perfectly calm until a couple of routines before my dance and then I started freaking out. Susan and Bonnie were encouraging me, and Bonnie gave me a special pep talk before I went to the holding Area with Antonio. Antonio let me know how proud he was of me.  That along with Bonnie’s special message helped me shake off my nerves and give the best performance of my life to the song “One” from A Chorus Line. I was able to live in the moment and experience joy throughout the entire piece, and was filled with emotion when I was done.

Next was Azita Rezaei who did a breathtaking first Waltz with Maxi to the song “I Dreamed a Dream” from Les Miserables. She wore an elegant black gown with flesh tone accents. Before coming to Daza Dance she had never danced before, but today she looked like a seasoned professional filled with grace. I was amazed at the way she expressed emotion and was able to connect with Maxi in her amazing debut.

Next came Susan Roberson. When I think of Susan I think of the song “We Are The Champions” by Queen. She took on two very challenging routines, the first being a Salsa with Mario in a stunning yellow fringe gown with beautiful movement to a song from the musical In the Heights. She and Mario have a special connection that shines throughout when they dance. Watching them together made me smile as I felt the story they wanted to tell.   Her next Dance was a Paso Doble with Maxi to the song “Don’t Cry for Me Argentina” from the Musical Evita. Paso Doble is a challenging advanced dance and Susan is only the second person in the history of the school to do one in a showcase. I remember watching Maxi practice Paso Doble In the studio with his precise intricate movements so I was thrilled to actually see one being done. Susan wore a stunning black gown with beaded accents that were placed by Maxi, and Maxi wore a red shirt symbolizing a matador.  Susan truly shone in her performance which had several beautiful moments that captured your attention showcasing her abilities.  Later we find that not only did she give two beautiful, challenging performances and raise the bar in the studio once again, we find out she was performing on a broken toe. She is a true Champion and inspiration to us all.

Next Were Cara and Alex Suarez Performing the song “Tango Maureen” from Rent with Callie and Maxi. Callie and Cara dazzled in their red gowns detailed with lace. The fierceness of their movements showed completely reflecting the true heart of Tango. Cara and Alex were also able to capture and convey the frustration of the song that talks about the fears and insecurities of loving an unfaithful partner.

Lena Hybrook and Alain Hernandez from Tango Evolution took the stage for our first of two Argentine Tango performances. Lena as always was beautiful and elegant in a bronze lame gown to the song “La Punalada” from Tango Argentino. Lena and Alain’s connection from their many performances shone through as they communicated a story of love and performed their movements beautifully.

Golden Precious, the team of Mario Lioce and Ferdinando Martino were back for an encore performance with Maxi and Callie for Salsa performance from Gloria Estefan’s show On Your Feet. Golden Precious was a nickname that came from the last production, and for this production they introduced themselves as Golden Precious the Latino Version. Callie and Maria Dazzled in brilliant green Salsa dresses that flowed as they moved.  You could tell Maria and Fernando were truly experiencing joy as they transitioned in and out of their formations with ease, precision, and a connection with their routine and with Callie and Maxi.

Our second Argentine Tango was a fiery performance with filled with passion With Clint Rausher and Shelley Brooks to the song “A Evaristo Carriego” from Luis Bravo’s Forever Tango. Shelley wore a black and red polka dotted dress accented with gold Tango Shoes.  Their intricate footwork dazzled the audience, and their connection as a team was evident.  I took special pride in watching this performance as the night before Clint and I realized we were both alumni of the Northside School of the Performing Arts.

Lynn Ragan performed with Antonio, Mario, and Maxi a Medley from the show American Idiot She was incredibly lighthearted in a beautiful red gown. She did both the East and West coast swing keeping energy throughout her piece. Lynn exudes a joy when she dances that uplifts all who view her and has a commanding presence of confidence.

Next there was a surprise as those of us who tested received our certificates. Myself, Colet Falvey, Jackie Levi, and Regina Davis Got our Intermediate Bronze Certificate while Bonnie Emerson and Susan Roberson got their full bronze certificates.

The much anticipated finale, the Instructor piece was a Cha-Cha performed by Callie and Maxi to the song “Sweet Transvestite” from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. They not only captured and reinterpreted the movie for this piece, they took it to a stratospheric level in technique. Callie wore a champagne spangled mini dress, and Maxi wore a Nerd outfit similar to the character Brad in the original production. Callie and Maxi kept the tradition of inspiring every student to aim higher and dream bigger than ever before.

We ended the evening with the viewing party for the participants where everyone could be relaxed and watch the entire show while encouraging each other. Of the showcases I have participated in so far this was the one I felt the deepest connection with. I am feeling ever-growing confidence with each step, and can’t wait to see what the future holds.

By: Kamaria George (05/10/2017)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!