-->

THE SIDE STEP

My first classes of the year were with Antonio, and set the tone for the next phase of my dance journey.  We are working on perfecting everything down to the smallest detail. This year I am being encouraged to be more independent, bold, and confident about taking moments, a process that was started earlier last year with my Salsa performance.

During both classes this week we focused on the side step but in different ways.  We practiced a Rumba turn over and over, and one of the things I took away was to shift my weight during the side step. When I shifted my weight it was easier to complete the step because the next step became crystal clear in my mind. In Salsa we were practicing one of my favorite steps, the Rueda step, and my focus was to open my legs during the side step. This simple adjustment made the step cleaner and was another tool to help me know which step to take next. I have never been able to do the Rueda step by myself, but as I focused on my side steps I could clearly see how to practice. I am getting excited seeing how just paying attention to the smallest movements makes a drastic changes in the overall appearance of the dance and increases my confidence. I can also take these adjustments and apply them to other dances.

As my steps are becoming clearer on the dance floor for 2017, I need to clarify the direction of my life through goal setting. Antonio and I have had several discussions on this topic throughout our classes to make sure I am not just dreaming, but creating plans to make my dreams a reality. I am an abstract thinker, so when he first asked me what my goals were I said I wanted the moon, the stars, and beyond! Well our conversations have evolved several times since then, and his advice has helped me to define in tangible ways want I want, and then be persistent in my pursuit of a life fully lived. This year he is encouraging me to keep my dreams and plans in focus every day. I am smiling so brightly from the inside out as these coaching sessions were just what I needed to help me stay alert and focused for the year ahead; I will have fully defined goals for every area of my life.

By: Kamaria George (01/07/2017)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!