-->

JANUARY PARTY RECAP!

As you know one of my favorite events each month is the Social Party at Dance – it is not only a chance to perfect my craft, but an opportunity to press pause for a little while and enjoy spending time with the amazing people who are a part of our family at Daza Dance. Every party has its own individual flavor, this one was extra special because Antonio was in town, and we always miss him when he travels.

Maxi is teaching the Cha-Cha tonight and I take the opportunity to focus on my rock step in the class and throughout the night. Tonight Gerri was formally introduced to the studio, an Instructor with a beautiful welcoming spirit who has been teaching. I had a chance to dance the Cha -Cha with her for the first time, and it was helpful to gain insights from a new set of eyes, and she was incredibly encouraging to me as well.   I danced the Rumba with Callie, I have learned so much elegance and grace with her, and I always look forward to her insight.  With Mario I danced the Tango, and he commended me for staying in character. As always he challenged me with new variations, building on what I am currently learning. Alas it is now time to say goodbye to my scary Tango Face - as a bronze level dancer my intensity must now come through my dancing and technique. Maxi and I danced the Foxtrot – Maxi was extremely excited that I remembered the notes he gave me the last time we danced the foxtrot together, and I was happy to be continually improving in Foxtrot. If there’s one thing I look forward to, it’s dancing the East Coast Swing with Antonio. It’s such a lively fun dance, and the one I have worked the hardest to perfect. As we covered the ballroom I couldn’t help but be joyful, and I was fortunate enough to get to dance this twice with him.  Antonio and I also did a waltz together and I was able to practice the two way under arm turn I had learned earlier that week. During the door-prize section, one of Gerri’s students gave me their free dance lesson they had won. I was so deeply moved that someone who I met briefly that evening could be so generous. I was already happy, but that made my entire evening!

After a wonderful party it’s time to get work in class the next week. For part of the lesson we are focusing again on the two way underarm turn by breaking down the first three steps, and I practice them over and over and over. Antonio draws me a geometric diagram so I could mentally picture the pattern I should be creating. I not only practice these steps that night I come back and the next night to practice, making sure I am facing the right direction.

Before class I had decided to make my class Wednesday the best class ever – by just making that decision my dance changed completely. Antonio told me I danced the best Rumba and Cha-Cha ever!!! Those words meant so much to me, especially knowing that he does not hand out compliments lightly.  As we moved through the other dances I had many more encouraging words from Antonio, and he told me he could see I was improving. I am seeing more and more confidence and faith give life to what seems impossible - which became my life lesson for the day. I started last year accomplishing more than I could imagine with a small grain of confidence, but as I am continuing to grow I am starting to see that 2017 can be a year of limitless possibility.

By: Kamaria George (01/22/2017)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!