-->

DAZA DANCE HOLIDAY PARTY RECAP!!!

On Wednesday when I entered the studio there was calming silence. As I sat still I could hear cars rushing through the collected rain that remained on the street from showers earlier in the day. The stillness and time of peace was needed for me to shake off my day and prepare for class. Maxi was busy posting stars for the next showcase and I was getting excited seeing who would be performing. There are a few folks that I only see during the day of the showcase because of different dance schedules, so it will be like a family reunion as we will have several hours to catch up with each other. I can’t wait to start my choreography, and knowing how my focus will be for the upcoming year I am a little nervous about what it will take to master everything, but I am up for the challenge.

The first part of my class begins with Maxi and we have fun with Rhythm dances covering the entire dance floor. Maxi gives me some advice to help me polish my movements, and he continues to make me laugh. Class is very relaxed as I don’t have anything I am not immediately preparing for anything so I let my hair down. For the smooth dances Antonio and I share the ballroom and he wants me to have proper placement so he moves where I am supposed to be and pretends to dance by himself. I am taking extra steps to rejoin him, and he smiles as I make the corrections. The rest of the class is just pure fun and filled with delight, and since there are a few extra minutes at the end of class we go through some more of the Rhythm dances. I am feeling the fearlessness I felt in Argentina as I am becoming bolder with my dancing. I know firsthand why Antonio loves this country so much, for me personally a divine intoxication filled my spirit; being able to fully realize my dream I helped me develop a confidence that is continuing to build. Antonio will return to Argentina in a couple of days, expanding International presence through dance with people who share his vision for a better world, the vision of community and acceptance that is the true heart of Daza Dance.

I arrive the night of the party and Maxi greets me with the biggest hug, and Mario waves to me as he is finishing up a class. I greet people as they arrive and people think I work at the studio because I want to help make sure everyone, especially newcomers, feel welcome.

Maxi begins class and I am bursting with joy for him. I met him on his first day at the studio and he was already a fantastic dancer, but to see this polished, sophisticated, confident man in front of me is a true representation of what Daza Dance does in the lives of everyone who comes here, and how important our community is to build and encourage each other. I was hearing compliments from one of the new students who thought he was a wonderful instructor, and he truly shone this evening like never before.  Maxi even utilized a basketball analogy which truly impressed me as I know nothing about basketball. During the class I focused on the pause in Salsa and perfecting my arms- no matter how much I learn it’s always good to reinforce the basics.

When we got to the break before the party I looked around all the ladies were dazzling in their Holiday attire with red, gold and lots of shimmer and bling. There were smiles and laughter everywhere, and the decorations and table lights made the ballroom warm and inviting.  Bonnie made some delicious meatballs that I nibbled on throughout the night.  

Mario is the MC of the evening, his elegant welcoming demeanor adds so much to the atmosphere. I am so excited to see Carly and Caleb, the leaders of the Ballroom club at the College of North Georgia.  Carly and I started the popular social 8 class, a class that teaches the basic step in 8 ballroom dances, two summers ago at Daza Dance. Now I am seeing her dazzle with Caleb beautiful and confident on the dance floor!

With Mario I danced the Foxtrot and as usual he threw in a few new steps to keep me on my toes! I can feel Mario smiling from within which helps me to capture the spirit Foxtrot as we glide around the floor. When I first started at Daza Dance I was intimidated by all of the dances, and now even though I know quite a bit more there is still a vast array of knowledge to grasp, and I drink from this fountain every chance that I get.

I danced the Cha- Cha with Maxi and he did not take it easy on me, he pulled every ounce of energy out of me as we danced and we went through those Chase Turns! As the evening drew to the line dances and the Merengue circle, Maxi truly emerged as a leader and spread so much laughter and joy, it was hard for anyone to remain seated! You wanted to be part of these special dances and his spirit made you feel that you were completely welcome and invited to join.  

We closed the night with a special request for the Hustle, people who knew the dance took the floor while everyone seated watched in admiration. The evening ended, and everyone was comfortable and lingering, no one wanted to leave. As I departed I was filled with the Holiday Spirit and had a renewed energy to face the world and dare to dream.


By: Kamaria George (12/11/2016)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!