-->

EXPRESSIONS OF GRATITUDE

The Ocean is a place of serenity to me; I can spend hours there walking the beach; the waves are a constant reminder of the flow of breath that brings me peace. Today I am making a conscience effort to slow down as I reflect on the week. My spirit begins to calm, and I am filled with gratitude for this year. The many wonderful experiences I have had this year have been exponential; it has been a year of breaking through shyness and fear and reclaiming my destiny. I am so grateful to Antonio for helping me to grow in confidence and helping me to believe that nothing is impossible. If you have a dream and a vision you can accomplish anything with diligence, perseverance, and heart.

Today in class as we are going through all the dance styles. I am loving my waltz and though I have to work to stay on my side in Tango, I am happy with my smooth dances today. I need to increase the energy in my Foxtrot -now that I can do the steps without falling down its time to add energy.  (Ha-ha!) My journey through Foxtrot is one of my proudest because this is the dance I have to practice the hardest. When I first started to learn Foxtrot if I didn’t practice every day I would crash and burn. Now I have committed the rhythm to heart and I am continuing to perfect this dance.

We get to Salsa and I am giggling and wild. I am remembering how I felt when I danced as a child; how carefree and full of energy I was and I am all over the place. Since I am streamlining all of my movements for technical perfection, however, the challenge is to learn to control my explosive, boundless energy, which will make me unstoppable. Antonio is having to reel me back in as my turns are getting sloppy, but I am having fun. I do take his words to heart, however, and my Salsa improves drastically.

When we get to the Cha – Cha I realize there will be no more faking it till I make it with Chase Turns! I don't know what made me think I could get anything past Antonio, even with his back turned he had an almost supernatural ability to know exactly what I am doing at all times.  As I am attempting a chase turn he gives me “the look” that lets me know he saw everything -and goes to get my friend, the large green exercise ball. To perfect my form I was kicking underneath the ball. As he broke the step down into movable parts I am encouraged to slow down and take each fragment moment by moment. Antonio was impressed with the way I applied myself and says it was my best class in 3 months, and that he was proud that I was able to correct myself and he didn’t need to correct me. To hear those words meant a lot to me, especially knowing that if Antonio is giving me a complement, it is real. I love that I a continuing to improve, and I look forward to continuing my metamorphosis in body, soul, and spirit through my journey at Daza Dance.

By: Kamaria George (11/21/2016)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!