-->

STYLE AND SUBSTANCE


I am simultaneously training for my competition, my Latin test and learning new choreography for the Fall Showcase.  Having multiple projects is completely satisfying, and I am starting to formulate goals for 2018. I love being in perpetual motion! While I am enjoying every present moment I am developing and fine tuning my vision by figuring out how to put steps in place for my future.

Maxi and I have been working on arm styling and creating pictures that use every ounce of space in my frame. As we go through warm-ups in Cha-Cha according to Maxi my arms look like I am shaking maracas when I do chase turns.(ha-ha) He shows me some fabulous intentional movements with my arms and at first I am having difficulty, but as I get used to them I start to feel my power. It’s something how just a slight change of arms can make you feel a new connection with your soul.

Maxi then wants to work on my Cross Body Break. I had a brain freeze when he asked me to do it by myself. Maxi patiently waited for me to figure out the step; finally, I had an aha moment! After I demonstrate the basics we begin working on more arm positioning and how to fix my body on a diagonal for a more dramatic effect. As Maxi continues moving my arm into different positions we both heard something pop which was quite funny, actually.  Maxi exclaimed, “Oh no! I broke Kamaria”. I assured him I was fine, I had just never moved like that before. While I wasn’t physically broken there definitely a spiritual breaking occurring for me to move to the next level of dance, beyond what is currently comfortable.

In choreography, we are working on clean up this week. I practice a lot by myself and Maxi wants me to be sure I know the choreography well enough so that I don’t create bad habits. We take the section I know piece by piece and I commit it to memory very slowly. We work on the Reverse Turn with outside Swivel again- I have enough notes on this step alone to write a thesis paper! The note today is after kicking the leg and doing the two half turns to focus on the step back. My other focus this week is to relax and not focus on the emotions for now. I have really connected to the piece and already know exactly what I will be feeling, but Maxi wants me to concentrate on technique. During my smooth test, my lowest scores were in technique, and my dance with the lowest scores was Tango so I will put my all into improving my technique from every angle.

Life lesson this week came as Maxi continues to challenge me beyond what I think are my limits. I am starting to truly shine as many facets are being chipped away from my life and a more brilliant diamond begins to unfold in my spirit. As I develop this new level of power and focus in my dance, there is a strength developing in my daily interactions. Dance has rewired and brought out the best in myself and I want to continue to let that person shine through

By: Kamaria George (08/05/2017)



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!