-->

FEBRUARY PARTY RECAP #RISEUP!!

This week Atlanta was energized as the hometown team the Falcons played in the Superbowl. Even though they didn’t win, they gave the city something even better. They chose #Riseup as their theme and the Atlanta community came together as this became the battle cry of the city. I was carrying these thoughts this week. Daza Dance is a place where you can rise up and soar, and I am experiencing this in my life.

This week I was working with Maxi, and he challenged me to go deep within to believe in myself as I continued to learn my choreography. As we continued to practice, Maxi was encouraging me to take bigger steps when I do the grapevine so I can travel. As I incorporated it, I could see how this made the overall picture stronger. Maxi was also working with me on making my arms fluid, instead of making staccato sudden movements. He showed me how to make my arms slow and graceful, and as I put this into practice I could feel the results.

As we go through the choreography I am learning quicker than I ever have. I am getting nervous as I am seeing that it will be at least a minute before I get to closed dance position. I am starting to become irrational and getting hard on myself for every little mistake, even though I have learned so much and am far enough ahead that Maxi wants to take the next class to work on technique. It is during these moments that my life lesson comes. Maxi tells me to not get stuck in my mistakes, but to figure out where I am and continue to move forward. As I apply this to my life I have a tendency to keep reliving my mistakes in my mind to the point where I become paralyzed. It was as if this class gave me permission to release the thoughts that have kept me so bound to the point where it is almost difficult to breathe. I am feeling the true freedom of my faith as I make a decision to silence the voices in my mind that want to chain me to my past; it’s time to move forward.

After a week of hard work it’s time to relax and enjoy the monthly party. I consider these three hours a special family time to catch up with my fellow students, and to raise my game by being challenged by the instructors. Tonight was extra special because there were a lot of new people to welcome into the fold. Because it is right before the Valentine’s Day the class before the party is Rumba, the dance of Love. Maxis is teaching, and creates a combination which includes a basic, a shoulder check, and a turn. I decided to take the time to practice the details of shoulder check.  After the class is our usual chill time where I caught up with several of my fellow students. During the party I was excited as the school came together to honor Mario for his Birthday. Mario cares for every student as if they were his own, always going above and beyond for everyone. He was given plane fare and six nights to his favorite place, Puerto Rico, and it gave me joy to see how happy he was when he received the gift.
Both Mario and Maxi keep me on my toes throughout the night first by raising the bar with Foxtrot. I also got to do a special East Coast Swing with Maxi, and I got to dance the last dance of the night which was a Rumba with Mario. As we close the evening with the Samba Line Dance I am overjoyed to be one of the leaders, I am one step closer to my goal of teaching! I am not in a hurry and know I need to go through process, but I am truly excited about the things to come. As the evening ends I can’t stop smiling and feel peaceful and calm, I can’t wait to come back to the studio to learn more choreography!

By: Kamaria George (02/12/2017) 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!