-->

THE QUEST FOR BRONZE

Before class I looked out of my window at a grey day that was so cold, the mist hung like icicles in the sky. Suddenly the sun burst through the clouds, its forceful rays flooding my room with such warmth I couldn’t help but smile.  It reminded me of how things can change in an instant and encouraged me to go back to being myself again. As I walked to class the sun was setting and I could see the amber and orange lighting welcoming me from Daza Dance. I was almost skipping as I quickened my steps to the studio where Mario and Maxi greeted me with the warmest hugs as I prepared for class.

My quest to become a bronze level dancer begins today, I am no longer a beginner, and I have committed in my heart to working harder than I ever have. Maxi comes out with a sheet of paper that looks like a report card that Antonio has shown me once before. I could see how many steps I’ve learned, but within each step there were so many elements I needed to perfect, and there were dances I haven’t even been exposed to yet. The sheer volume was intimidating and I can see that it is imperative for me to start taking notes now, I usually can remember mental notes and make corrections but now things will accelerate. My first goal for the year will be to complete a smooth dance exam to test my aptitude for the smooth dances which will take place in the spring, and as we begin warm-ups I can feel the intensity of my classes has changed. As we start to dance I am confident and letting my joy unfold on the dance floor. We start doing Tango and Maxi tells me we will be learning two new steps today. I immediately break character and start smiling brightly – then I remember my Tango face but it’s no use I am too excited and I can’t make myself look angry or frustrated.

The first step I learn is the single Corte in Tango which is a lunge where Maxi is drawing me forward, and I’m supposed to press against him and turn my head to the side.  I have a flair for the dramatic, and at one point I jerk my head so hard I feel like I have whiplash! I keep smiling and don’t let on how I feel but my neck is stiff for the rest of class.

The next step was a step is the Outside Partner in Rumba.  This move is a lot more fluid for me and is a variation on the cross body lead. I am able to discern when to do the cross body lead and when to move into the Outside Partner, and this is fast becoming one of my favorite steps. At the end of class while we are playing around I realize I know two other steps, a variation of the Tuck in Step from East Coast Swing and the Under the Bridges step in Salsa.  I am feeling so accomplished today, and looking forward to this next phase of my dance journey.

By: Kamaria George (12/20/2016)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!