-->

EXACTNESS!!!

Exactness! This word is ringing in my head from my rehearsals for showcase, and is one of the focus points of my instruction now. The more I perfect my steps and execute them with boldness the clearer my communication will be with Antonio. Communication has to be the single greatest thing to master in partner dancing. As you dance together you become familiar with the other person, the way they move, and how to complement their movements. You also learn to be fluid and flexible in the moment to be open to change when it happens. When your movements are clear even if you are wrong your partner can help you get back on track. When your movements are timid and indecisive it is difficult for your partner to read where you are. On Wednesday after warming up with all the dances we spent some time concentration on a turn in Rumba and how to shift my weight. The turn was broken down into several parts, and each section had to be correct to the smallest detail. The perfect opportunity to practice this step was on Friday with the social party. I always come a few minutes early, and today Antonio, Maxi, and I were having fun listening to music and dancing around. The song “I’ve Had the Time of My Life” from the movie. Dirty Dancing comes on and Maxi motions for me to run to him and we do a crazy lift over his head - then tries to run to me jokingly for me to lift him up  and I step out of the way and start laughing. My song from the Showcase “La Camisa Negra” starts to play and Maxi grabs me up and we go through the whole routine. The steps are still fresh in my mind and Maxi and I just chill and have fun going through my routine together.

Finally people start arriving, there are old and new students and a group from the Ballroom Dance Club at The College of North Georgia. I love when the students come as they bring such an infusion of energy!! I remember first meeting Carly, one of the Leaders of the Club When we took Popular Social 8 together at Daza Dance and she was talking about starting the club, now it is vibrant and thriving. We have a great group tonight and I am really excited. I am so excited to see Paige and Bonnie, usually I don’t see them until the parties I also made a new friend with Azita and this was her first party!

Cha-cha is the dance of the night and even though we are practicing the basic step and turn I am using it as an opportunity to perfect my form, and tonight I have decided to focus on making sure I am communicating clearly.  After a short break and catching up with several of my fellow students, my first dance of the night was cha-cha with Mario. Mario threw some challenging moves my way, I just relaxed and followed. I always love to see how full of joy Mario is when he dances, and his joy makes me smile. Later we would do a happy bouncy foxtrot. Of all the dances the FoxTrot is my most improved dance. As I was gliding around the floor with Mario I was reflecting on how hard I had practiced these steps and now it was paying off.

With Callie I danced the East Coast Swing and Rumba. What can I say? I am always ready for East Coast Swing, I also danced the Rumba with Callie I love to watch how elegant she is when she dances and how she finishes each step with grace. 

With Maxi I danced Salsa- now that he knows I like to spin he had me spinning all over the ballroom!! We practiced the free turn so many times I was almost dizzy and I loved it. We also danced the Tango, my favorite part of Tango is the Tango Face! I love being intense and angry and executing steps to dramatic music. Maxi and Antonio kept teasing me about my Tango Face and making me laugh!  With Antonio I danced a dreamy Waltz, and I was remembering what a challenge it was to remember even small details like closing my feet when I first started. I am seeing myself continue to improve which makes me proud. We also danced a vibrant East Coast Swing he changed the order on me a couple of times keeping me on my toes, and he threw in an extra shoulder check just to see if I was paying attention – and I was! As the evening was drawing to a close my favorite dance of the night was absolutely the Rumba Antonio and danced together to the Song Hero by Mariah Carey. Being able to dance to that song was almost an out of body experience. It was so fitting because every lyric of song is what Antonio is helping to bring out in me; because of him I am beginning to live my life on the other side of fear. Taking the leap of Faith to come to Daza Dance was the best decision I ever made, and being able to give my all in pursuit of my passion has made me more complete.

The group and line dances are always a highlight of the evening, we had a group Merengue where everyone was dancing in a circle, The Bachata Line dance and of course the Samba Line dance that closes the evening. I have become so confident in these dances now they are almost like second nature. When The Samba Line Dance ends I have a second wind but, alas, it is time to say farewell. I am feeling very calm and peaceful and ready to take on any challenge life may throw at me.

By: Kamaria George (11/16/2016)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!