-->

RISE UP!

I started this week completely drained in many ways and I found it difficult not to be fatigued in rehearsal. The most challenging part of this routine right now applying the confidence and sassiness that Salsa requires. This dance utilizes a focus and energy that I was lacking. As I was rehearsing my routine, I felt like I was just going through the motions. Antonio told me he knew this was not my best work and helped me to reel my energy and refocus. The next and final run through was better, and I felt it.

Later that week was my interview for the production. I always enjoy every opportunity to talk about Daza Dance and what the studio means to me. Each interview gets easier and easier as I am able to communicate more freely. When the class part of the interview began I did East Coast Swing just fine, but for some reason I was making mistakes with the most basic rumba moves. In the Cha-Cha I was having an issue with my chase turns; I looked up and Antonio was on the other side of the room. The exercise was to show me how to make corrections on the spot when things go wrong; I followed him and jumped back into the dance. “There she is” Antonio teased. 

For the next class He had me to count out every movement phrase by phrase fine tuning each step. Today’s life lesson was to focus before moving forward, you can’t just move aimlessly you have to have a plan. As I applied this to my dancing I had more stability in my movement by focusing on which direction I was going before moving there.

Antonio had me to live the word “exactness” for the duration of class, meaning he wants technical excellence, and for me not to get so lost in the character that I lose my precision in movement. While we are practicing I feel like I am almost perfect- but when it comes time to put it with music before everyone in the studio I freeze. Antonio pulls me to the side and we have one of our growth producing moments that cause me to dig deep. As a result I am able pull out a more confident performance for my last run through. I have some work to do before our next rehearsal, but I feel so accomplished today. I am reminded of the Bible verse Luke 12:48 “to whom much is given, much is required”; as I continue meeting and surpassing goals more is being expected of me. I am learning in dance as in life you have to rise and meet the challenge.

By: Kamaria George (10/30/2016)



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!