-->

CHAPTER 2 BEGINS!

I am so excited as Antonio has invited me back to share my thoughts and dreams in a weekly column. As I am learning to live with the idea of limitless possibilities I invite you to join me for Chapter 2 as I begin living in the reality of one of my greatest successes and look forward to my next steps.

Today I am sitting in quiet stillness absorbing the rays of sunlight on the second day of autumn. Intermittently the wind blows giving a calming embrace as my thoughts run wild. Argentina was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! I surprised myself as all of the preparation, blood, sweat, tears, and sacrifice transformed me into a different person - I found myself on the ballroom floor as observed by Anna Smart one of the competition organizers. This is probably the best description of what happened to me. I am not the same woman I was when I left Atlanta, there is a clarity and definition of goals like I have never felt before.

 I have jumped right into preparation for my Salsa Choreography. I had a class with Maxi who introduced me to the cross body lead turn. The turn had me feeling like I was learning to dance for the first time all over again! He spun me over and over again until I became dizzy as I had forgotten to spot- Maxi even accused me of being drunk as I was starting to stumble through the turn. Finally he pulls out some blue tape and places it on the ground and tells me to stay on the line as I complete the step. After several attempts I finally get the turn he smiles and hugs me; it truly felt great to finally get it! The next week as I am preparing for my class with Maxi I get a big surprise as Antonio has returned from Argentina and drops by the studio to encourage me, and to cause me to start thinking about my vision for the next year. One powerful thing I draw from Antonio is to always keep moving forward looking to the next level, simultaneously performing in the present while focusing on the future.

Finally I have my first class with Antonio to set my routine. I have been ecstatic waiting for my steps playing my song La Camisa Negra by Juanes over and over for the past few months! As we begin there is a lot of walking in the beginning of the routine. Antonio asks me why I thought he was having me walk so much. I was thinking perhaps he wanted to make a statement similar to choreographers Blondell Cummings and Paul Taylor who use everyday movement in their pieces, but as it turns the walking was added to help me improve my posture. As we move through the steps I am realizing that this is a piece that will help build my confidence – even when Antonio and I are in closed position the routine demands me to step outside of my comfort zone and be fierce!  The Life lesson with Antonio for the day is to move with purpose- when you don’t have a purpose you are unsure and you lack definition and power. In addition to making my life lessons a reality my challenge is to learn my routine in 6 weeks and I am ready! After performing in Argentina I am ready to take this routine and this year by storm!!!

By: Kamaria George (09/23/2016)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!