-->

SOUTH AMERICAN OPEN 2016!!!

At 5:00 AM I wake up for my hair and make-up call at 6:30. Antonio and Sebastian come to get me from my room and make sure I have breakfast before this incredibly long day. Breakfast is not ready yet but they find me some coffee and juice and Facturas (yay!!) before Antonio takes me to hair and make-up. After being transformed I run to my room and get dressed. Antonio comes to get me to take me to the ballroom, and when I get downstairs my nerves are going haywire, I am feeling so much pressure wanting to dance well and make a good impression for Daza Dance. My head is spinning and I am about to vomit. Valeria takes me away for a few minutes to a side room. I run into the hair stylist who fixes my hair while I am swallowing table salt which keeps me from being sick. Valeria is holding my hand and comforting me and her peaceful spirit helps me to collect my thoughts. Finally I am calm enough to re- enter the ballroom, and after a short practice session I am feeling better. When I took the floor for my first dance the nerves were gone! I just relaxed an enjoyed dancing with the best dancing coach in the world, and dancing my personal best! I was filled with such joy and never wanted these moments to end! When I wasn’t dancing I got to soak up watching the technique, creativity and artistry from Chile, Germany, Costa Rica, and many other nations. I also gleaned from our dancing family getting to watch Valeria and Antonio majestically move on the ballroom floor, and she shone as well with Enrique her other partner. Likewise her sister Costanza was delightful to watch as she performed with Sebastian, her love for dance came through with every movement. Of course I also loved watching the divine Celeste and Enrique, Celeste reminds me so much of Masha as she and Enrique illuminated the dance floor. I also enjoyed watching the joyful Christian and Stella, and the Regal Estella and Sebastian- Estella is indeed a queen as she and Sebastian move beautifully through the floor. Sonia looked like an Egyptian princess as she dazzled in her beautiful gown with the love of dance flowing through her. I was also deeply moved by watching Sebastian and Ligeia move throughout the ballroom, their lines were utterly perfect and their connection was seamless- It’s easy to see Ligeia is a former ballerina a she and Sebastian execute each dance with precision and ease.  At the end of the Day I was able to celebrate with Valeria who got top honors in Rhythm and with several members of Colavita who took home top honors as well. I felt blessed to be a part of a family of champions and to be present in a ballroom with some of the best dancers in the world. When we concluded for the Day we came back later for the group presentations and performances. Antonio and Sebastian performed an amazing East Coast Swing that electrified the crowd. After the performance I was grateful for sleep as I had only slept 4 hours in 2 days!

The next day of the competition was the smooth day- I had no nerves and just had fun. I remembered every correction and even my Foxtrot looked great! I understood in that moment why Antonio is so tough on me and never lets me get away with even the smallest detail. His demands for perfection helped me fine tune and dance with a confidence I never knew I had, and helped me not to second guess myself when the pressure was on. I had another day of dancing my personal best and feeling like I was gliding around the dance floor. Joy that had been hidden in my heart for years was coming out and shining. I became very known for my Tango face, and scared some poor lady so bad she made a point to come tell me. At the end of the day Valeria took hope top honors again in the smooth I didn’t realize she had never competed in smooth before, what an amazing accomplishment. Other members of Colavita Studio were also taking home awards. That night at the VIP dinner for the South American Open I was so surprised that I, along with other members of my team received my participation medal from Anna Smart one of the organizers of the South American Open. Usually this medal would be given at my school, but they wanted to acknowledge me, and were hopeful that I would return.

For the evening session we had a ceremony where they announced each Country and I got to walk around the ballroom with Antonio and other members of the United States behind the American Flag. It was exciting to see all of the other countries represented as well. That night there were several wonderful performances including Amazing performances Manuel Favilla and Natalie Maduik. I was in awe of how Natalie moved across the floor, stunningly beautiful and completely captivating. I felt like a child wanting to capture and copy her every movement. Another wonderful thing that happened was that I was honored to be present as Sebastian got inducted into the Choreography Hall of Fame. I felt so proud to have had the opportunity to work with him in Atlanta when he choreographed my last showcase, and to now be present as he accomplished this amazing achievement.

Later that evening was after party. I still wanted to dance so Antonio challenged me to do Gangum style.  I think it surprised everyone to see me totally free of any inhibitions on the dance floor and just having fun- I couldn’t stop dancing. Celeste was laughing saying “where is Kamaria!!!” Sebastian just stared at me and said “you danced a lot!!!”

I never like to visit a city without learning something about and embracing the culture, and the next two days Antonio and Valeria were gracious enough to take me throughout Buenos Aires. We went the first day to LaBoca, The Birthplace of Tango with the beautiful colored buildings and saturated with beautiful art. Next we visited Puerto Madero a beautiful pier that represented the modern architecture of Buenos Aires. Later that evening there was an awards ceremony that acknowledged every student. I was deeply moved to hear what Antonio thought of me, and I got to tell my story and thank Antonio for this wonderful journey that has changed my life.

The next day we went to The Evita Museum in Palermo, and to a hauntingly beautiful Cemetery in Recoleta. After we had lunch with Sebastian at El Club De La Milanesa It was time to leave, so sadly I boarded the plane.  I couldn’t sleep on the plane as wonderful memories permeated my soul. The Sun was rising as I was flying into Buenos Aires, and the moon was setting as I landed in Atlanta. Incidentally my name means like the moon, and like the moon I feel reinvigorated from my time in Buenos Aires to bring light and joy to a world that desperately needs encouraging.

When I woke up this morning I stared down at my glittering fingernails, the last remnant of my performance, glittering like Cinderella’s slipper after the ball. Chapter 2 begins today as I start my Salsa

Choreography for the next showcase. Where will my dreams take me this year? It’s time to continue on my path and go beyond the limitations of my mind- not just for myself, but as an encouragement to all I come in contact with.

I would like to thank Antonio for helping me transform not only as a dancer, but as a person and for letting me use his blog to write 200 articles. He has helped lead me on a path to find the best version of myself and to embrace who I am completely, giving me tools for success in every area of my life.

By: Kamaria George (08/22/2016)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!