-->

REALIDAD ARGENTINA (Part 1)

As I was arriving in Buenos Aires I got to watch the sun rise through the clouds and almost appear to be  level with the plane.  I was thinking this is a new day for me; and I was to embark on one of my greatest adventures. Antonio met me at the airport with Enrique, a student at Sebastian’s studio.  As I was riding into the city I began to realize I was fulfilling my dream- everything for a year had built up to this moment. The thoughts running through my mind were competing with the eclectic architecture, and parts of the city that reminded me of places I had visited in France, Belgium, England, and even cities in the United States like San Francisco in California, and New York City. Before going to the hotel we went to say Hello to Sebastian who went with us across the street to this this delightful bakery with Facturas, delicious pastries with all sorts of flavors. My favorites were the Dulce de leche, the crème centered ones, and a flat one with a berry jam. I ate two on the ride over to the hotel and saved the others for a midnight snack!

When we got to the hotel my room wasn’t ready so we went straight to rehearsal at Ensuenio. The studio reminded me of dance studios in New York City with the long marble staircase leading to the top and antique wood finishes. I met Susanna the owner whose warm demeanor made me feel at home and who makes the best cup of coffee in the world.  The room where  I was rehearsing had a beautiful mural that looked like petals painted in a color between lavender and violet.  For the first time I was rehearsing with a mirror; at Daza Dance there are no mirrors which actually is a good thing for me; I can concentrate on connecting with Antonio and not feel self-conscience about how I look. This time however, I am using the mirror to make corrections. As always I am full of anxiety, I haven’t seen Antonio in 2 weeks and I usually freak out because it takes time to reestablish a connection, and this time was no different. I do really great on the Rhythm dances and then during the smooth dances I fall apart with the Foxtrot. (No surprise here) Antonio gets frustrated and starts fussing, and I get really angry with him - which is great because our next dance to rehearse is Tango. I don’t even have to look in the mirror to know how scary my Tango face is looking right now!!!  Next we are doing The Waltz and I have to be sweet again – but I don’t want to be sweet! I want to keep my Tango face because I am furious, but I soften and become sweet again. After a very intense practice we shake off the rehearsal, hug and have lunch. I have a ham, egg, and cheese pastry similar to a quiche and some more of Susanna’s delicious coffee!!

Back at the hotel I am greeted by my friend Heather who has been one of my best friends since we were 13. We were ballerinas together a Terpsicore studios in Atlanta and attended Northside High School of the performing arts together. It meant the world for me to see her and to know that she would be there for me as I performed as friends like her come once in a lifetime. After catching up I am getting ready for a Tango Show.  Before the show starts I get to learn some Argentine Tango from one of the dancers and totally forget my Tango Face! I have more of a Lucille Ball/ I love Lucy/ East Coast Swing face because I am so excited and happy. The show was a dinner theatre with several couples who performed together and separately; some of the performances were so emotional I could feel them all through me. The show also included Gaucho performers who infuse the audience with a vibrant explosive energy.  We get back at the Hotel shortly after midnight and I can’t sleep as I have too much excitement and expectancy about what is to come. Tomorrow continues my journey further into the unknown!

By: Kamaria George (08/20/2016)






No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and/or feed back!